Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Weather and the Blossoms

I've lived in DC for 20 years, and run the annual Cherry Blossom for about 12 of those years and I don't remember the weather EVER being nice. I remember snow, wind, rain, and hail, but never 60 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. It must have happened once, but it's gone from the memory banks.

It was kind of a tough race this year. New course made for a few changes and a few narrow stretches, but the worst was getting stuck in a slow wave. the first 2 miles was a lot of work to get into the clear and it really took a lot of effort. In the end, I ran my usual time - just over 9 minute miles - 1:34:05 but was really dead at the end. The day after was a total rest day, but got up and swam this morning.

I am a little discouraged about my swimming. I don't feel like i am improving much. I can get the distance done - if i stop, but the stroke does not feel fluid and it takes a lot of effort to get through the workouts. I may attend a swim clinic being run this weekend by the club - maybe that will help.

No comments: